- posted: May 24, 2023
Traveling with Pets and Pet Care Advice
Whether you're planning a weekend excursion, an overnight getaway, or an extended vacation, traveling with pets requires preparation before leaving. At South Miami Pets & Vets in Pinecrest, FL, we'll help get your pet travel-prepped and ready to ride or fly.
Tips When Traveling with Pets
Before hitting the highway or taking to the skies, it's important to know that your pet is in good health. The last thing you want is for your pet to become ill while away from his veterinarian. For this reason, scheduling a pet wellness exam appointment prior to departure might be useful
It might also the time to have the veterinarian sign any required documents to access transportation, access to national and state parks, etc. acknowledging they our pets have been vaccinated.
Things to Know or Do
Here are some tips of how to prepare for your departure:
- Depending on the mode of transportation, a health certificate might be required. Cruise ships might require a permit for service animals to be on board.
- Some hotels, resorts, bed and breakfasts, motels, and other accommodations may require proof of rabies vaccination.
- Get a list of prescribed medications for your pet requires before traveling.
- In a secure area, have your pet's name, tag number, microchip information, veterinarian's name and phone number, medications your pet takes, and your name and phone number. This information is crucial should your pet become lost or if you need to take your pet to an animal hospital while traveling.
- Prior to traveling, it might be a good idea contact the places where you plan to stay, including campgrounds or RV parks, places you plan to visit, and transportation options to know what is required ahead of time.
Get Pet Care from a Veterinarian on Our Veterinary Team in Pinecrest, FL
When you're planning to travel, include the things necessary for your pet so it can make the journey with you safely and in good health. Our team at South Miami Vets & Pets is here to help get your pet ready for his next great adventure. Call us at (305) 255-7838 for more information.